The hundred anniversary of the death of Lluís Domènech i Montaner will be commemorated in 2023, which will be declared the Domènech Year.
The Lluís Domènech i Montaner has been set up to organise the celebration of several events over the course of the next few years designed to disseminate the life and work of the Catalan architect.
The main projects approved by the panel are:
- A touring biennial Domènech i Montaner Symposium the first of these scientific symposia was held on 6 and 7 October 2017 in Reus. The second will be held in 2019 in Canet de Mar, the third in 2021 in Barcelona, etc. The transcripts of the lectures delivered will be published in the intermediate years.
- The celebration of the 2023 Domènech i Montaner Year
- The establishment of 27 December as the Domènech i Montaner Day.
- The elaboration of activities with schools in the three main Domènech cities (Reus, Canet de Mar and Barcelona) to promote his figure and his legacy.
- The creation of a Domènech i Montaner Route to promote and facilitate national tourism related to the architect, historian, humanist and Catalan politician.
- General and specific dissemination of the figure of Domènech i Montaner through a range of activities, including the website, social networks, participation in local fairs, etc..
The Lluís Domènech i Montaner Panel is formed by:
The Institute of Urban Landscape and Quality of Life, Barcelona City Council
Today Barcelona is the most famous Art Nouveau city in the world. After the iconic buildings by Gaudí, the works by Domènech i Montaner are the most visited, particularly the Palace of Catalan Music and the Sant Pau Hospital Art Nouveau Enclosure. These sites welcome locals and travellers alike, and aim to enhance knowledge of Modernista architecture dotted around the urban landscape.
The Promotion of Reus Agency, Reus City Council
The arrival of Lluís Domènech i Montaner in Reus in 1896 accompanied by Pau Font de Rubinat to build the city’s psychiatric hospital, the Pere Mata Institute, marked the entrance of the Catalan Art Nouveau architectural style in Reus. Domènech i Montaner designed other buildings for the city, including the splendid Navàs House, a masterpiece that condensed the features of Modernisme and is considered one of the gems of Art Nouveau.
Canet de Mar City Council
Canet de Mar is the town that boasts the largest Catalan Art Nouveau architectural heritage in the smallest area. Exploring this legacy in depth through Domènech’s oeuvre and disseminating this knowledge is a possibility offered by the Lluís Domènech i Montaner House Museum
The Lluís Domènech i Montaner Studies Centre
The Lluís Domènech i Montaner Studies Centre is a research organisation founded in 2013 with the intention of promoting research into the life and work of Lluís Domènech i Montaner.
The Lluís Domènech i Montaner Foundation
Our Foundation intends to revisit, study and disseminate the personality and work of one of the most decisive and emblematic figures of the second half of the nineteenth century and first quarter of the twentieth century.